FAB BLOG POST
Got Health Goals? 3 Strategies for Lasting Success
Have you set New Year’s health goals only to find yourself goal-less by the end of the month?
Ever wonder why? The Journal of Clinical Psychology found readiness to change, or how prepared someone is to enter the action stage of behavior change, to be the single best predictor of successful New Year’s resolutions.
We’re in a time where health has never been SO accessible and actionable.
You can stream workouts from anywhere, order delivery by the touch of a few buttons and get help from a therapist, ALL from an app.
Yet, people are massively struggling with their health. You may know someone personally.
But, this doesn’t have to be you and it doesn’t have to be true. Whether you want to drop 10 pounds (and keep it off), start (and stick to) a yoga routine or kick your soda habit (for good), you deserve to achieve your goals and lead a life of health and happiness.
In today’s blog, you’ll learn how artificial intelligence (A.I.), paired with health coaches and planning help make your goals happen and help you move into a stage of readiness.
These ideas are simple, easy, affordable (and even free). More importantly, they’ll help you go from feeling confused and stuck to confident and successful!
If you have health & wellness goals but have become engulfed in feelings of frustration, guilt or fear, this blog is a must-read. These 3 strategies are here to inspire, keep you focused and feeling good.
Strategy #1: Get Support
Support can be as simple as a click of a button. It can also look like partnering with someone who has experience and expertise in the health field. But not just anyone, a health coach. Not to mention, science backs this up. Dominican University demonstrated that when you have an accountability partner, someone you can check in with, you accomplish significantly more.
But what do health coaches – specifically Functional Medicine Certified Health Coaches – do?
Think of a health coach like your personal cheerleader and someone who holds you accountable for what you say (and write down) you’re going to do. Someone who can help bridge the gap from where you are to where you want to be without judgement.
- See your blind spots and re-direct you.
- Educate and empower you to make the best choices for you.
- Encourage and lift you up, celebrate your wins (big & small).
- Advocate and support you.
- Guide you through your fears, worries, and frustrations.
- Keep you accountable.
- Make sense of your situation so it’s not confusing.
- Work with your practitioner or Dr. to help you implement your plan.
Here’s why Functional Medicine health coaching works. It take a client-centered, strengths-based and personalized approach looking at the whole person. Functional Medicine Health Coaches are trained in the stages of change and look for things like how ready and committed their clients are to taking on lifestyle changes. From empowering clients with tools, skills and education to facilitating intrinsic motivation, Functional Medicine Health Coaches help their clients make lasting change.
According to the Mayo Clinic Proceedings, “Health and wellness coaching is now a respected discipline and health and wellness coaching for patients with chronic conditions has demonstarted the potential to positively change behaviors and health outcomes.
Personally, I believe Functional Medicine Health Coaches are the secret sauce. The check-ins, follow ups, accountability and positive relationships all go into the recipe to make your health goals a reality. If you’re serious about transforming your health, look into working with a Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach.
Strategy #2: Find An Approach That Works For You
Whatever your health and wellness goals are, it’s clear from a recent Welltok Survey that taking a personalized approach is best. Let’s look at a few examples of how pairing apps + health coaching + a lil bit of planning provides an excellent foundation for overall health and wellness goals. The best part? You get to pick what works best for your lifestyle.
Goal: Eat healthier in the new year.
Barrier: You’re working and don’t have time to go grocery shopping.
Apps: These apps can help you save time, money and your health by delivering your groceries straight to your door!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach: While health coaches can’t tell what specific food plan or what supplements to take, they can support in a lot of other ways like:
- Co-create a plan with you to make sure you’re stocking your pantry, fridge and lunches with healthy food and groceries
- Educate you on menu plans that could support the particular eating lifestyle of your choosing or what your practitioner is prescribing
- Advocate and support you as you find recipes or ways to eat healthier with less time
- Break through barriers or resistance that comes up when making changes (and it will come up).
Broad Goal: Wanting to make movement a part of your weekly health plan.
Barrier: Inevitably, you get busy at work, family things come up or you’re just plain tired. You let a day go by and the next thing you know, a week or month has come and gone. What do you do to stay on track OR get back ON track if you’ve fallen off?
Apps: Finding a fitness app that suits your style and brings you joy is key to staying on your movement goals.
- NeoU Fitness: Think yoga, HITT, Barre, Strength training that you can stream from your phone
- Strava: For runners or bicyclists
- YogaWakeUp: Audio guided yoga and meditations for the day
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach: While a health coach can’t give you an exercise plan unless they’re a certified personal trainer, they can:
- Help you discover your why and motivation for moving in the first place and provide accountability so you stay on track with your goals.
- Co-create a plan to gather yourself so you have everything you need to get started working out.
- Brainstorm ways to overcome barriers before they become a problem.
Broad Goal: Desiring to be less stressed throughout the day.
Barrier: You lack the mental and emotional coping skills or tools to go from fight or flight to rest and digest.
Apps: There’s so many self-help apps out there. Finding one you like, can make a huge difference.
- Affirmation! Retrain your brain with loving, nurturing and positive thoughts.
- Calm: Use for 15-30 seconds or more at a time to become calm and centered.
- Headspace: Guided or unguided meditations with 10 free sessions when you start.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach: Provides support along your journey by teaching you mindfulness tips, tools and techniques. Coaches can introduce you to strategies like deep breathing, meditation, relaxation and visualization. They explore what’s working well for you, considering your likes, dislikes and keeping you accountable as new lifestyle behaviors are implemented.
Strategy #3: Plan & Schedule Your Health Success
Planning and scheduling your health (and pre-planning barriers that come up) can either make or break your success.
If you’re someone who has a hard time delegating tasks and wants to “do it all,” you’re not alone. Becoming a new mom trying to balance a business, family and health was overwhelming for me too.
After an unsuccessful search for a planner that would fit my lifestyle, I decided to make my own digital and printable planner. If you’re like me, you love the sweet satisfaction of crossing something off your to-do list!
Maybe online scheduling works for you.
For me, using both comes in handy. I use G-mail to plan work meetings and my planner for all other health and life activities. Now, I’m able to track my goals like movement, meals and water intake, while building my confidence, saving time, money and my health!
I’d love to help you get started.
Grab a Pen. For writing down your goals. : ) According to this Dominican University study, those who write their goals down accomplish significantly more.
Yearly Goals. Click here to download a done-for-you yearly goals sheet from the F.A.B. Planner! Write down 2-3 overarching goals you have for this year.
Now, let’s make it actionable! Create a step-by-step plan to support your goals. You can refer back to this and refine as time goes on; one that works for you and your lifestyle.
Use this app to manage your scheduling, add events from your email or create events.
This planner has done for you trackers built into it so you can focus on taking action and building your health and wellness habits over time.
GET YOUR GOALS WITH OUR GIVEAWAY
I really want you to accomplish your goals this year AND feel fabulous along the way. To help you get started, we’re doing a special F.A.B. Planner Giveaway.
This is time-sensitive, so let’s get started!
- Comment below and tell me what your goal is and ONE strategy you’ll use from this blog to get moving on it.
- TAKE ACTION. Whether it’s downloading an app, hiring a health coach, setting up your google calendar, do it and then comment below “DONE” or “CHECK.” I told ya it feels good to cross things off!
- C’mon over to my Instagram, follow and comment on 3 posts and tag 2 girlfriends so they can take inspired action.
Here’s what you could win:
- A signed version of the F.A.B. Planner (printed, spiral bound and in color – ready for you to start planning!)
- F.A.B. Planner Perks (bonuses)
- A signed version of the F.A.B. Workbook (printed, spiral bound and in color)
Now, I’d love to hear from you. What’s one important health and wellness goal you’re committed to accomplishing this year and what A.I. and/or human support are you going to get to help make your goals a reality?
Remember, support is the secret sauce.
Leave a comment below and let us know. Your comment, story or insights may spark inspiration for someone else reading this and encourage them to take action in their health and wellness.
Please share your comments directly below this blog post. Thank you so much for reading, sharing and supporting this community!
Remember, you’re in charge and you deserve to create health and wellness for life. No matter how big, small or in-between your health goals are, these strategies can help.
With all my love,